I have traveled to Japan nine times now, spending nearly 6 months moving about in large, small and very small places. With those experiences I can provide some really sound advice about getting the best out of a short stay in Japan.
I will be bundling my detailed posts under the places that I have stayed, building a rough guide “3 Days in ….” for the areas around the 25+ places across the 18 Prefectures I have stayed in thus far.
And another couple of hints for whatever you plan to do:
- you will find 100 things to do – don’t try to do them all. Chose a small number and try to immerse yourself.
- in the same way, limit your stopovers. Stay in one place for a minimum of three nights. There always be a variety of sights and experiences, where ever you are.
- Go to the local visitor information booth, often at the main railway station.
- Take up any local volunteer guide service you can find. Your experience will be so much richer when a local shows you around.
Maybe you can add some of these “3 day” ideas to your next Japan itinerary.
- Aichi Prefecture: Nagoya
- Akita Prefecture: Kakunodate
- Aomori Prefecture: Aomori
- Gifu Prefecture: Takayama
- Hiroshima Prefecture: Hiroshima
- Iwate Prefecture: Kamaishi, Morioka
- Kyoto Prefecture: Kyoto
- Miyagi Prefecture: Sendai
- Nagano Prefecture: Matsumoto, Nagano
- Nara Prefecture: Nara
- Okayama Prefecture: Okayama
- Osaka Prefecture: Osaka
- Saitama Prefecture: Misato
- Shizuoka Prefecture: Ito, Mishima
- Tochigi Prefecture: Nikko
- Tokyo Prefecture: Akabane, Akasaka, Asakusa, Kuramae, Marunouchi, Ueno
- Wakayama Prefecture: Kawayu Onsen
- Yamagata Prefecture: Yamagata